Having the Blogger Recognition Award appear in my comments a few weeks ago was a very pleasant surprise indeed! What a lovely thing to be nominated for! I was nominated by Morgan over at Hopeless Book Addict so a huge thank you to her for the nomination! The award was originally created by Eve at Edge of Night and if you want to you can check out her blog to get the rules for the award straight from the source.
This award is quite different to the kinds of ones I’ve done in the past, so it should be interesting for me and for you!
- Select 15 other blogs you want to give the award to. Do some digging if you must! Find those blogs. You cannot nominate yourself or the person who has nominated you.
- Write a post to show off your award! Give a brief story of how your blog got started, and give a piece or two of advice to new bloggers. Thank whoever nominated you, and provide a link to their blog. List who you’ve nominated in the post.
- Make sure to also attach the award itself! (You can do this by right-clicking, saving, and uploading the image above).
- Comment on each blog and let them know you’ve nominated them. Provide a link to the award post you created.
- Provide a link to the original post on Edge of Night. That way, anyone can find the original guidelines and post if needed, and we can keep it from mutating and becoming confusing!
My love of blogging actually started in school, when I had to write a review for my AS Level English Language coursework. I discovered I was actually quite good at it and so I asked myself, why not do it for fun? My friends already had a blog and they introduced me to WordPress where I saw all these other people gushing over books and everything they loved. I knew about Booktube and as much as I loved watching videos it wasn’t really an option for me to do my own (perhaps one day!) so I focused on writing them down and posting them both here and on Goodreads. I got a really positive response and people seemed to like them them, which was great motivation. I began in October 2014 with a book review for the Blood of Olympus and here I am now still at it!
I don’t consider myself an expert yet, not by any means, but I have learned a few things along the way. So here’s some advice to all you aspiring bloggers out there.
- Have confidence in your own abilities. Often an easy thing to say but a tricky thing to put into practice. This may seem pretty obvious, but it’s also one of the most important things I’ve learned. There are going to be times when you read your posts and think that they’re awful, or that everybody else can write better than you or look at other blogs and wonder why you don’t have that many followers, but don’t panic. So long as you feel passionately about what you’re blogging and stick at it you will find your own unique voice and build up an audience who love and appreciate what you have to say.
- Talk to people. I made this mistake myself when I first joined; I expected followers to just come to me without having to put in any effort. And okay, a few people will just stumble across your blog and follow you but to really gain followers and make friends you need to put yourself out there. Comment back if someone leaves a message, leave a kind and courteous comment on someone’s first blog post, or like their posts and follow them first. Spread the love people! Followers aren’t everything but you will feel so much more involved in the community and get so much more out of the blogging experience if you’re not afraid to socialise.
And now for nominations! In keeping with my current trend I’m nominating a selection of my lovely followers!
5 Paperback Worlds
13 Joey @ thoughts and afterthoughts